Return to Blog

Maximizing Social Security

On today's episode of the Wiser Roundtable Podcast, the team talks about ways to maximize social security and why it is important to do so.

Listen on Apple Podcasts or through YouTube:


When to Take Social Security

A lot of people are hearing for the first time to delay in collecting their social security payments. There’s a lot of information out there, but a lot of it is misinformation, so it is important to do your due-diligence. To be clear: if you take social security at 62, you are taking it at a penalty. If you wait until 70, you are gaining an 8% increase in benefits. The goal is to wait for a higher payout.

What if Social Security Goes Bankrupt?

The media has been saying this for years. The reason why it’ll last is because of the Old Age and Survivors Insurance (OASI) Trust Fund. This was created to fund the gap when there are less people paying in than taking. 76% of the money needed to support social security today is still coming in from people working. That leaves only 24% of funds that the trust needs to cover. The government can cover this by writing a check, increasing taxes, or increasing the amount that social security stops drawing from your paycheck.

Investing Social Security Payments

When you do the math on this, the findings show that it does not actually work to help you long-term. Based on the math, it would be extremely hard to invest that money from the retiree's age 62 to 67 to create a realistic diversified portfolio which is able to produce the income that is guaranteed otherwise from simply delaying social security.

You Need Cash Flow

Say you are 62 and SS is the only income you can draw on. We advise you to spend on other investments you have in order to delay drawing on Social Security for as long as possible. Take it early if you absolutely must, but know that you are handicapping yourself.

Antsy for Your Social Security Check

This is hard to overcome because it is an emotional thought process. There are some exceptions here: We assume that our clients will live until age 95 unless they say otherwise. If there is a likelihood that they might not make it to age 80-85, we recommend that they start drawing at 62. Outside of that, you will most likely live longer than you think.

Receiving Social Security Benefits from a Spouse or Ex-Spouse

Let's look at a husband and wife scenario. The husband’s SS benefit is $2,500/mo and the wife’s is only $800/mo because she did not work or worked very little. She is eligible for half of his SS or all of her own. When he dies, she can take all of her SS or all of his. In that case, if he delays she will be able to collect more when she is a widow.


1:05 When to Take Social Security

2:20 What if social security goes bankrupt?

9:36 Investing Social Security Payments

13:55 You Need Cash Flow

15:44 Antsy for Your Social Security Check

20:22 Receiving Social Security Benefits from a Spouse or Ex-Spouse


Learn more about Casey Smith and connect with him on Twitter.

Learn more about Brad Lyons.

Learn more about Matthews Barnett.


Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, and YouTube.

Learn more about the Wiser Wealth Management Roundtable podcast and access previous episodes.

Wiser Wealth Management, Inc. is a registered investment adviser. Information presented is for educational purposes only and does not intend to make an offer or solicitation for the sale or purchase of any specific securities, investments or investment strategies. Investments involve risk and, unless otherwise stated, are not guaranteed. Be sure to first consult with a qualified financial adviser and/or tax professional before implementing any strategy discussed herein. Past performance is not indicative of future performance.

On today's podcast, the team talks about the differences between active vs passive investing. There are two very passionate sides to this long-time debate in our industry. Which approach is best? #passiveinvesting #typesofinvesting

Our firm is growing rapidly, and we are excited to add new team members! For detailed job descriptions and to apply, visit the careers page on our website.

#hiring #jobopening #internship #hiringnow

We think you should fire you small cap mutual fund manager! Watch this video to learn why. #mutualfund #smallcap #invest #investing #investments

Money matters are emotional because our livelihoods, families, and dreams can be greatly impacted by our financial decisions. Read today's blog to see if your investment behavior may be costing you. #invest #investingbehavior #investment

The US Federal Reserve, concerned about a deep recession has manipulated interest rates to help create certain conditions, but with rising inflation, low rates will disappear. Does this mean stock values will too? #interest #interestrates #investing

125 Church Street NE
Carmichael Building, Suite 220
Marietta, Georgia 30060



Client Access

Firm Information